The Brentwood Arts Exchange and the Prince George's African American Museum and Cultural Center present Resonant Forms: Alonzo Davis, Martha Jackson-Jarvis, Frank Smith. The exhibition, Resonant Forms, will be on view at the Gateway Arts Center (1st floor, 3901 Rhode Island Avenue) until April 9, 2011.
Resonant Forms "is intensely visually rich. Its works frame a spectrum of artistic modes that range between expressing through pure color and speaking directly through the conceptual weight of material. Both means are important in each artist's work, while each artist approaches them in different ways."
There is an Opening Reception on Friday, February 11, 2011 from 5 - 8 pm. In addition there are a series of related programs:
- Artist Talk with Alonzo Davis, Martha Jackson-Jarvis and Frank Smith Saturday, February 12, 2011, 2 - 4 pm
- Message in the Bottle: A Discussion with Martha Jackson-Jarvis and A.M. Weaver, Saturday, March 19, 2011, 2 - 4 pm
- Alonzo Davis and The Bamboo Muse, a book of Davis’ artwork paired with the poetry and prose of twelve writers inspired by his work, Saturday, April 2, 2011, 2 - 4 pm
|Charles White, Jubilee, Oil on Board,|
39" x 31½"
|Willie Cole, Pressed Iron Blossom No. 3,|
2005, Lithograph on two sheets
of Somerset paper, 35⅞" x 47¾"
D C Moore Gallery presents Romare Bearden: Idea to Realization as one of its inaugural shows at the gallery's new location at 535 West 22nd Street. Romare Bearden is on view through March 12, 2011. An illustrated catalogue accompanies the exhibition.
"This focused show features a rare and vibrant group of original artworks that blend paint, photographic images, and abstracted cut-paper elements. Created as maquettes for murals, mosaics, book jackets, and other projects, most of them are being exhibited for the first time." For additional information, see Bearden. View other images at the gallery.
|Romare Bearden, Bessie, Duke, and Louis, c. 1981, |
Collage on fiberboard, 12 ¼" x 43", D C Moore Gallery
|Kamal Mansour, Hammerin' Hank,|
Digital, fabric, found objects,
mixed media collage on canvas,
44" x 44"
- Art Premiere and Artist Reception, Thursday, February 10, 2011, 6 - 9 pm
- Opening Reception, Saturday, February 12, 2011, 6 - 9 pm
- Art Talk and Discussion will be held at The Guild Theater, 2828 35th Street, Historic Oak Park, Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 6 - 8 pm. This program will be moderated by Milton 510 Bowens and will include the following speakers: Senator Curren D. Price, Jr., Assemblyman Mike Davis, Bryan Keith Thomas, Akinsanya Kambon, and Elaine O'Brien.
- Special Preview / Reception: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 5 - 9 pm
- Opening Reception: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 5 - 9 pm
- Black Face: An Art Talk with Milton 510 Bowens (The artist will be discussing the value of controlling our cultural image): Saturday, February 19, 2011, 3 - 6 pm
- Portrait of Post Racial America (panel discussion focused on the state of race relations in America today): Saturday, February 26, 2011, 3 - 6 pm
|Rik Freeman, Moses Train, 2008, |
Oil on canvas, 60 " x 72"
|Claudia Gibson-Hunter, |
Code Red: Insurgent, 2008,
Bleach, colored pencil, acrylics,
30" x 22"
International Visions - The Gallery
Reception: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 6:30 - 9:00 pm. International Visions Gallery is located at 2629 Connecticut Avenue, NW.